Tips on how to prevent mold in basements and crawl spaces in Overlea MD
Tips to avoid mold
In basements and crawl spaces:
- Put a plastic cover over dirt in crawl spaces to prevent moisture from coming in from the ground. If there is standing water or the soil is wet, dry it out with fans before covering the floor.
- Be sure crawl spaces are well ventilated by using fans and having vents installed in outside walls if necessary.
- Consider painting concrete floors and using area rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpet in basements. If you plan to install carpet over a concrete floor, it may be necessary to use a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) over the concrete and cover that with sub-flooring (insulation covered with plywood) to prevent a moisture problem.
- Have your basement floor checked for leaks and have them repaired if necessary. Water can enter your home by leaking or by seeping through basement floors or walls.
- Make sure gutters are working properly and that outdoor landscaping causes water to run away from -- not toward -- the house.
- Do not finish basement walls with insulation and wall board unless your basement is very dry.
About SERVPRO of Perry Hall/ White Marsh Mold Remediation Services for Overlea MD
SERVPRO of Perry Hall/White Marsh specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 410-529-1664