Eastern Baltimore County: reduce your risk of fire – inspect storage areas
Reduce your risk of fire – inspect storage areas
At SERVPRO of Perry Hall/White Marsh, we see many homes and businesses in eastern Baltimore county, experience fires. Many people are vigilant on checking areas of their home and keep smoke alarms up-to-date...but some areas may be forgotten, such as a garage, shed, or unfinished storage space within your home. Your garage, basement and yard can present hazards as well — in fact, they have the potential to be even more dangerous. Here are tips on what to inspect to prevent a fire in your garage, shed, or basement.
- Avoid cluttering debris or junk near your furnace or heater.
- Old newspapers piled in damp, warm places can actually self-combust — they don’t even have to be close to a heat source.
- Keep oil soaked rags in a metal container – think linseed oil, oil-based wood stains, oil rags from mechanical maintenance.
- Store flammable solvents and liquids in a fire cabinet
- If you have gasoline or other flammable liquids at home, keep them tightly sealed in metal containers and make sure they’re far away from heat sources, including the gas or charcoal grill you love to use in the summer.
- The grill itself should be at least 10 feet from your home and placed away from any overhead branches or structures.
If you've experienced a home fire, and aren't sure what to do, please call SERVPRO of Perry Hall White Marsh, or your insurance agent.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 410-529-1664