How to prepare your business for frozen pipes in the event of a winter deep freeze.
With over 40 years of experience, SERVPRO Franchise professionals have restored flood damaged homes and businesses from coast to coast. Here are our SERVPRO approved tips for preparing your business for a flood.
BEFORE THE DEEP FREEZE
- Make sure the heat is on after business hours, if temperatures stay below 20 degrees farenheit for more than 24 hours
- insulate pipes that are exposed to the elements or hard-to-heat rooms such as warehouses.
- Open under-sink cabinent to allow warm air to circulate the pipes.
- arrange to have a free Emergency Ready profile made for your business in advance so if the flood does happen, then you will be able to manage the restoration process remotely
- make sure you have flood insurance, flood insurance takes 30 days to get into affect so it is imperative that you have it long before you need it.
- Document your business. Take quality pictures of vehicles, Computers, inventory and office set up. You'll be glad you have this later.
During the frozen pipes:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches, or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances that are not exposed to wet walls or water.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Call a Water Restoration professional, then your insurance company to get a claim number and adjuster.
- If no insurance, just call your restoration company of choice but prepared to pay a down payment.
After the Flood
- Listen for news reports to learn if the weather will get warmer or colder to avoid further damage until the current frozen pipe situation is resolved.
- return to the business only when your water restoration professionals at SERVPRO says its safe.
ABOUT SERVPRO OF PERRY HALL WHITE MARSH
SERVPRO of Perry Hall/ White Marsh are the flood clean up experts in the Baltimore Metro area. IF a deep freeze strikes your business, give SERVPRO of Perry Hall/ White Marsh a call, even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly and the clean up is often and overwhelming task. The SERVPRO team at SERVPRO of Perry Hall/White Marsh is prepared to handle any size disaster and help make it like it never even happened.