Toilet: Flooding caused by clogged toilet in Nottingham, MD USA.
Toilet: Flooding caused by clogged toilet
1/3 of toilet related flood damages are caused from a clogged or overflowing toilet. A toilet can be clogged or blocked from impassible things being flushed down the toilet by anything other than toilet paper and human waste. (However if it’s happening to many toilets more than once then it might be a plumbing problem or a sewer back up). Here are a few basic steps to keep everything under control until the plumber arrives, and then your water restoration team if the flood is significant
A few basic steps can keep the situation under control until a plumber arrives.
- Locate your water shut off valve near the base of your toilet. Turn the valve until the water shuts off to prevent additional overflow. If your toilet does not have one, open the tank and rig the float to stay in its position and not let any more water fill the tank. Do not do this barefood, or with open cuts on your body. Always wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- While wearing PPE, Remove water using towels to clean up a small amount or a Shop-Vac to help with larger spills or to soak water out of carpet and other fabrics. Be sure to wash and disinfect all surfaces that were dampened by the toilet water.
- If its clogged, grab a toilet plunger and try plunging it free. A sink plunger could work if you do not have a toilet plunger, but it likely won’t be as effective. You can also try using a plumbing snake if you have one accessible.
- If you know there’s a foreign object preventing the toilet from flushing, get some rubber gloves and try to remove it.
- If you have NO idea what’s causing it, just keep water contained until plumber arrives. SERVPRO of Perry Hall white Marsh can refer a plumber to you if you need one.
To prevent future clogs:
- Try using less toilet paper. If you need to use more, flush multiple times.
- Never flush feminine products down the toilet. Even if the products claim to be flushable, always throw them in the nearest trash receptacle.
- Keep the counter space around the toilet and the back of the tank clear of small objects that could easily fall in. Smaller objects might fall in without notice and be accidentally flushed, which could create a clog. By keeping the space around the toilet, you decrease the chance of this happening.
If water did get into lower levels, wick up the walls, or spread throughout the house then you need to have it professionally cleaned by a certified professional to prevent mold, and to save on re-building cost.
ABOUT SERVPRO OF PERRY HALL WHITE MARSH:
SERVPRO of Perry Hall/ White Marsh specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When you have a water damage, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Perry Hall White Marsh. We are certified in Water damage, biohazard clean up and mold remediations. We also accept all insurance companies. Call 410-529-1664 for more details.