Safety tips for burning candles in Perry Hall Maryland.
Candle fires cause 8,200 home fires a year, resulting in 80 deaths, 790 injuries, and 374 million dollars in property damage every year.
3/5 candle fires start when something that could burn, such as a Christmas tree, a mattress, bedding, curtains or decorations were too close to the candle.
Almost 1/5 of candle-related fires were unattended or abandoned.
While it's best to avoid candles all together, here are safety tips for use of candles.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn, this includes hand sanitizer, paper, nail polish remover, and aerosols.
- Never leave a candle unattended, blow out candles when you leave a room- you can always relight it when you are back in the room.
- Keep candles away from greens and all decorations - especially the Christmas tree or pourporri.
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains or ½ inch if in a container. If you must burn it to the bottom, keep a trivet underneath to prevent heat damage to the surface.
- Extinguish a candle if it repeatedly smokes, flickers, or the flame becomes too high. The candle isn’t burning properly. Cool, trim the wick, then check for drafts before relighting.
- Trim candlewicks to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and dripping. Scissors like these make the job easier.