Water Damage Timeline: What happens to your Nottingham Maryland home after a water damage.
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. More often than not, homeowners choose to haphazardly clean up water damage, or do not even notice the water damage until days after the water entered their home. We are going to tell you what happens to your home from the minute a water damage occurs, to a weeks after the incident.
Water Damage Timeline:
WITHIN MINUTES OF THE WATER DAMAGE
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing staining to carpets
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp
HOURS 1-24 AFTER THE WATER ENTERS THE HOME
- Drywall begins to swell and break down
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish
- A Musty odor appears
48 HOURS TO 1 WEEK AFTER THE WATER DAMAGE
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp
- Furniture warps and show signs of mold
- Paint begins to blister
- Wood flooring swells and warps
MORE THAN 1 WEEK AFTER THE WATER DAMAGE
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated and structural rebuilding may be extensive
- Structural safety, mold growth, and bio hazard contaminants pose serious risk to occupants
Always always ALWAYS! Address water damage the moment it occurs, and always use qualified IICRC professionals. Use a house sitter when going out of town, and always check your elderly families home periodically to save them the hassle of dealing with a dramatic water damage.